It’s the most magical time of the year...and now more than ever it’s important to take good care of yourself. As adults, all the festivities can come with a giant heaping of stress and exhaustion. It’s all too easy to let the holidays go by in a blur, never really savoring the beauty and wonder of the season.
At Hudson Healing Arts, our job is to help you navigate the holidays with less stress and more joy! That’s why our practitioners joined forces to put together a list of our favorite quick and easy ways to decompress. And, as a holiday treat, read on for special discounts on services from each of our practitioners!
Beth’s Holiday Tips:
* Take the time to think about what you’re doing. Are you repeating traditions that have lost their meaning? Consider narrowing down that list of ‘must do’ and choosing what you and your family really enjoy. Maybe it’s preparing simpler holiday meals, but taking more time to savor the pleasure of each other’s company. You might also create a new tradition, such as watching some of the old, great holiday movies as a family. Turn off the phones and tablets, get out the popcorn and settle in together. Pop in a DVD or stream one of the classics like A Christmas Carol, The Bishop’s Wife, or Miracle on 34th St.
* Favorite apps: Insight Meditation Timer and My Calm Beat. Both help restore a sense of calm – even if you only have a few minutes.
* Give yourself some down time before going to bed. Unplug-- turn off the phone, the tablet, and the laptop an hour before your bedtime if you can. Let your body unwind from the day. You’ll find it improves the quality of your sleep.
* Give– there’s nothing like helping those who are in need to help you regain a sense of perspective about your life. Support a local shelter or donate to a charitable organization. Instead of rushing past a homeless person the next time you’re on your way to or from work, dig in your pocket and give. You might also take a moment to make eye contact as you do so – it feeds the spirit. You’ll feel better for having done so.
* We highly recommend celebrating Winter Solstice on December 21st! It’s the shortest day of the year and heralds the return of light to the earth. There are no big meals to prepare, no gifts to buy, no decorations to put up. Light a candle, breathe, think about all you’re thankful for this year and set your intentions for the coming year.
AshWork Energy Clearing sessions are offered at 20% off through January 6. Sessions are a half-hour in length and are conducted remotely by phone, so there’s no need to worry about traffic or parking or moving from your comfortable couch1 They’re a great way of creating change quickly and easily. Energy Clearing sessions may also be purchased as gift certificates and redeemed later. For more details, see our Tele-Services page. To schedule a time, call (201) 653-7700 ext. 1 and mention this blog post. If paying through our website, use the code "AshWork20"
Joe’s Holiday Tips:
We all know how busy the world gets around the holidays – rushing to and from work, shopping, tending to chores, and hopefully getting in a few minutes for some down time or a workout.
During these stressful days, home is where we can find a reprieve from the chaos. What I like to do before leaving in the morning is to turn on the radio to my favorite classical music channel so that stepping through the door brings me to a place where there is already a relaxing atmosphere filling the air. So, tune in and enjoy the music- and the peace! Wishing you good health.
(Beth adds: Your plants will benefit from it too!)
Through January 6, take 20% off an initial consultation with Joe. It's a great way to insure a healthy start to a new year! To schedule your consultation, call (201) 653-7700 ext. 3 and mention this blog post.
Ellen’s Holiday Tips:
In between massages, and when feeling holiday panic setting in-- stretch it out! Stretching allows us to connect with our bodies in a gentle way that helps us relax, and become aware of tension areas that need to receive breath or mindfulness attention.
Take 5 below:
1 - Shrug your shoulders by raising them both towards your ears, and do circular motions to the front, and then to the back.
2 - Rotate your wrists clockwise and then switch direction by rotating counter-clockwise.
3 - Hold your hands together above your head, palms facing towards the ceiling, and then stretch upward toward the ceiling.
4 - Tilt your head to the side, bringing your left ear towards your left shoulder till you feel a stretch. Alternate to the right side.
5 - While sitting down, extend your right leg forward and then reach towards your toe till you feel a stretch. Alternate between legs.
Take advantage of a holiday special of 25% off with Ellen H. Gomez today through 12/31/2017. Reserve your session here.
Dusty ’s Holiday Tips:
The following suggestions are all good for your Mind Body & Spirit to reduce Holiday stress...
*10 minute Meditation daily (I use Headspace app and I love it) for self-care
*Full Body Massage (a 10 minute Chair Massage/Hand Massage at the nail salon is beneficial too)
*Breathing exercises are super helpful for anxiety/stress
*Time Management and sticking to a schedule helps reduce anxiety/stress, as long as you’re not trying to pack too much into the day.
* Saying ‘no’ can reduce the chance of being overwhelmed
75 minute Massage for the price of an hour (20% discount) limited to in studio (i.e. at HHA) -no house calls.
Cristina Maria’s Holiday Tips:
The blessed holiday season gifts so much. Through songs and hymns, with bells and sweet melodies, we are reminded of the eternal presence of Spirit! That place, living so deeply within, a mere whistle away, is your Spirit; it guides you through all and serves as a guardian of the physical being. During the month of December, grant yourself the 'gift that will keep giving' ~ all year...eternally ~ by connecting with your Spirit, through the Spirit of the Holidays! The holidays ~ a time of increased joy and love, sadness and stress ~ invoke all feelings, opens us to the deepest inner planes. Allow this Holiday Spirit to come through, regardless of the feeling, with gentleness and gratitude and let the rejoicing begin - for you are alive and being rebirthed each and every day!
Below is a gift on how to connect with your Spirit ~ to allow this full feeling time ~~~ have a notebook and pen and small glass of water nearby; (if you choose, you may open with prayer and a call to Spirit/God/Divinity (whatever it goes by for you) to guide you in connecting with your Spirit, then go to the meditation.
Click here for a link to the meditation.
May this exercise guide you, connecting you more deeply and grandly to that infinite space of your Spirit...opening you to the presence of love and beauty in all, especially during this sacred holiday time. Wishing you a blessed and sweet holiday season! May we see you soon!
Cristina Maria’s Special:
Join us on 12/12 from 7:30 - 9:30PM, the Day of the Virgin Guadalupe, for a special holiday event!
Hudson Healing Arts' Spirit Medicine Gathering
We will gain an understanding of:
What is "Spirit Medicine"?
How to commune with it daily ~ Benefits, Process, Ways, etc
How it connects to Shamanism, Herbalism, Curanderismo and other Earth/Celestial-Centered Traditions
How it is an invaluable tool for healing (i.e. alignments/illnesses, physical manifestations)
What ways "Spirit Medicine" is being offering at Hudson Healing Arts . Bring your questions, curiosity and openness to receive. To close the evening, together we will invoke and experience the presence of our Spirit ~ that which knows all ~ through sound, song, prayer and journeying (a shamanic tool).
Space for this event is limited. Please RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is our sincere hope that at least one of the suggestions strikes a chord with you this holiday season. Wishing all of our clients and Hoboken friends a wonderful holiday --and a reminder to have love and compassion for yourself during this time! Now more than ever, self-care ensures we can fully bond and connect with loved ones and truly revel in it.